Regulator: The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
The HCPC is a regulator of health and care professions in the UK.
They protect the public by regulating 15 health and care professions in the UK
To do this the HCPC:
- set standards for professionals' education and training and practice;
- approve programmes which professionals must complete to register with the HCPC;
- keep a register of professionals, known as 'registrants', who meet the HCPC standards; and
- take action if professionals on their Register do not meet the HCPC standards.
CPD is linked to registration, so registrants need to meet their CPD standards to stay registered. There are five CPD standards:
A registrant must:
1. maintain a continuous, up-to-date and accurate record of their CPD activities;
2. demonstrate that their CPD activities are a mixture of learning activities relevant to current or future practice;
3. seek to ensure that their CPD has contributed to the quality of their practice and service delivery;
4. seek to ensure that their CPD benefits the service user; and
5. upon request, present a written profile (which must be their own work and supported by evidence) explaining how they have met the Standards for CPD.
The Council covers the following professions, which have their own professional bodies that provide support for CPD:
- Arts Therapists
- Biomedical Scientists
- Clinical Scientists
- Occupational therapists
- Operating department practitioners
- Speech & language therapists
- Hearing Aid Dispensers
- Practitioner Psychologists
The HCPC’s CPD requirements, which are set out in law, are detailed in a dedicated section on their website which can be found here: https://www.hcpc-uk.org/cpd/
For more CPD information please contact this organisation directly.
This information is for educational purposes only to provide an overview of the CPD policy and practice for this profession.
The CPD Standards Office does not have any direct or contractual relationships with any organisation listed in this resource, nor are they formally affiliated or classified as an accredited CPDSO provider.
Please contact the professional institute, regulator or membership organisation for more information.